Splatter in your microwave? Have you removed your food and closed the microwave door behind you afterwards? Who cleans their microwave, right?
Germs can thrive in a dirty microwave and add any unwanted flavours that may be bad for your health as well as the palette of that easy mac.
All you need is 20 minutes a month and your microwave will be spotless.
Why should I clean my microwave?
Besides the health benefits of keeping your microwave oven clean, for most of us, a microwave oven is essential for our fast-paced lives.
From heating up our frozen, pre-made food on our lazy days to melting those 18 sticks of butter for when we decide to try that baking recipe that Claire Saffitz is insistent is the best thing we'll taste this year. And we would do anything for Half-Sour Saffitz.
Let's just put it this way, we want it to last forever.
How often should I clean my microwave?
How often should we clean our microwave oven you ask? After. Each. Use.
Wipe down with our all-purpose spray and a microfiber towel.
As discussed in our series 'how often should you clean...', we talk about how cleaning daily declutters the home and the mind. The microwave is no different.
The more often you give it that quick wipe, the less likely there is going to be a build-up of splattered spaghetti.
An extra tip is to leave the microwave door open to air out the microwave after you've finished heating your food. It will help keep any odours and build-up away!
Should I deep clean my microwave?
A monthly deep clean (or as often as possible) is highly recommended to keep build-up and hidden nasties at bay. Follow these simple steps and you will never question the sanity of your microwave ever again. It takes less than 15 minutes, we swear!
Step 1: Loosen food spills
• Fill a small microwave-safe bowl with water and a few slices of lemon.
• Place the bowl in the microwave and turn the microwave on for three minutes.
• Leave the bowl in the microwave for an extra 3 minutes.
- Steam from the bowl will loosen all food spills.
- Lemon will act as a deodorizer.
Step 2: Clean interior
• Unplug Microwave.
• Remove the turntable plate and roller ring.
• Scrub roller ring wheels with a toothbrush and mild dishwasher liquid.
• Rinse with warm water.
• Clean the turntable plate as you would a normal platter - soapy warm water and a bit of elbow grease.
• Spray water & vinegar mixture (50:50) on inside walls of microwave and wipe down with damp microfibre cloth.
• Dust interior walls with a lint-free cloth or cheesecloth to remove any unwanted dust.
Step 3: Clean exterior
• Spray and wipe down the exterior with water & vinegar mixture (50:50) damp microfibre cloth.
• Dust exterior with a lint-free cloth or cheesecloth to remove any unwanted dust.
Is that it? Is that all you have to do? Yeah, girl. That's it.
Microwave ovens are essential due to our busy lifestyles. We use it for its convenience but we often neglect the importance of cleaning it.
It only takes 20 minutes a month to keep your microwave clean and looking brand new! A pretty small investment if you ask me.
Is there any other appliance you struggle to maintain? Let us know.